If you plan to analyse image-based data you can help the continuous development of SMarTaR-ID in 3 different ways:
- When you start to analyse your own imagery, use the SMarTaR-ID data template to organise your own species reference catalogue for your dataset.
You can find an example dataset here. Once completed, please hand your dataset over to the SMarTaR-ID team for incorporation of new taxa or better quality images of taxa into the database.
- Are you going to sea with an ROV? If so then you can help build the quality of the imagery in SMarTaR-ID by the following actions:
- Take an image / video of an animal in situ
- Sample that exact animal
- Photograph the animal ex-situ
- Preserve the specimen (keep a small sample in ethanol for barcoding, the rest in formalin / ethanol / or frozen)
- Ensure your archiving system is such that you can marry insitu, exsitu and physical specimens
- Get in touch with us to help bring your imagery and samples into SMarTaR-ID
- Are you writing a grant that will include image analysis? Please consider costing on £1500 for use of SMarTaR-ID. This money will help us to pay for taxonomic support, website maintenance and database curation. Get in touch to help finance.